Beginning something new
A fluid list of reminders to get things started
- Set timelines in batches - 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year.
- Be a facilitator of your teams shared perspective.
- Ask hard questions. Seek comfort in uncomfortable discussions.
- Create as much collateral as you can in meetings.
- First 60 days are about building motivation, confidence and synergy.
- Pick a target. Clear your brain. Focus.
- Assemble your program management, engineer and design team.
- Narrow your teams focus and minimize distractions from your target.
- Create a shared space for documentation, research, discussions.
- Write a mission that defines a 6 month to 1 year team milestone.
- Document questions from the team - categorize by implementation, business, design.
- Map critical experiences for exploratory validation
- Document the voice of real customers through interviews, surveys and experience research
- Iterate on experiences to incorporate the customers voice
- Prioritize elements that minimize time to market and public announcements
- Set a target date for the first significant releasee
- Ship to the market and learn quickly.